Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Power of Pearls

Recovering from meningitis isn't fun.  It has made me extremely thankful for our families (which I already was).  My mom and dad stayed through the weekend and helped out with meals, cleaning and the kids.  My dad left Sunday, and my mom stayed until Tuesday morning when Jean came back.  Jean picked up right where my mom left off. 

Friends and family across the board have stepped up in order to help us continue some sort of a normal life, but the recovery process in general just stinks.  I have been reading on http://www.meningitis.com/, and I feel much better now.  I was beginning to worry that my feelings and my emotions were not valid.  I couldn't understand why it was taking so long to feel normal.  Would I ever feel normal?  I spent the morning weeping and had no idea why.  I'm weak, I feel hazy, emotional and lonely. That is not me at all.  I found this in the article, "Recovery is dependent upon the body developing an effective immune response to the infecting virus and usually occurs within a week or two. Consequently most people recover within a week or two. However some people may have recurrent headaches and experience tiredness, problems concentrating and/or may be irritable or depressed." Depression.  That is what I am experiencing today.  It's horrible. Two of my best friends called at the perfect time, just as they always do. Somehow that made me feel less lonely.

Finally, I had relief.  This is normal.  I am normal, so I dried my eyes and put my pearls on.  I'm not sure what it is about pearls, but they do wonders for me.  Now, I'm resting on the couch in my shorts, t-shirt and my pearls.  Life is good.  Everything is going to be okay.

2 comments:

  1. it is amazing what a pretty necklace will do you for your spirits! :) can't wait for you to feel better. . . i miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I always think of pearls when I think of you!! Glad they cheered you up! I completely understand that feeling...

    ReplyDelete