Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mini Crisis


Oh my, my, my!  Today I thought I would be SUPER WIFE! (This is where I went wrong.  We've been down this road many times before; it ALWAYS ends up poorly!!!)  I only had a little while before the plumber came (AGAIN), but I wanted to run to Walgreens and get some much needed medicine for Matt. He didn't know I was going to do this, but I knew he needed it and would love seeing Cayden.  
I glanced in the back seat.  Brinley had just fallen asleep and Cayden was completely taken with his snack.  I thought about leaving them in the car for just a moment.  I knew exactly where I needed to go to grab the Mucinex, and it would only take a couple of seconds.(You know you've had this thought too... right??!?) But NO- I know not to leave kids unattended, so I inconvenienced myself and did the right thing... I took both of my kids inside.(Which is pretty much a sight in itself...!)  We rushed through the store and were on our way to Matt's work. 
After the "big surprise," Matt walked us back out to the car.  (Cayden has an obsession with cars and often gets to "drive" with Matt and his grandparents.  He even knows how to turn the car on... scary! ) Cayden asking for the keys is nothing new... in fact, it's kind of second nature...  We get in the car and Cayden asks for keys. Today was no different except that we were both standing on the passenger side and Cayden was crawling around in the front seat. Brinley was sleeping in the back.  Cayden asked for the keys, and we tossed them to him.  Before we knew it, we closed the door and were walking around to the driver's side when we heard the DREADED noise...  the horn honked twice!  Cayden had locked the car with the keys!!!  Matt and I just gasped and looked at each other!!! Thank the LORD- I had cracked the window.  I never crack my window!  That was just a God thing!  We begged Cayden to hand the keys to Daddy through the window.  I feared he was about to start the car and do WHO KNOWS WHAT!!  Cayden thought it was hilarious!  I was almost in tears, and Matt's co-workers were having a great time watching the circus through their windows!   In all of my efforts to NOT leave my children unattended, I had done just that!  After what seemed like hours, Cayden (giggling all the way) decided to hand the keys through the window to Matt.  We "rescued" the kids and went where everyone goes when they have just had a mini crisis... Costco.  :) I bought a few things and felt much better.  We returned Matt to work and went back to where we belong... HOME!!!  I am now embracing the term "stay-at-home mom" on a whole new level!

No comments:

Post a Comment